Tuesday, November 25, 2008

RIP Cousin Jean

So I woke to some sad news this morning, my mom's cousin Jean passed away about 3 hours after requesting to be pulled off the machines.

Her problems started years ago when she had an ingrown toenail. She went to get her regular pedicure, and her pedicurist offered to remove the ingrown part, and it all went downhill from there. She developed a staph infection in her big toe, and for years the doctors couldn't get rid of it. They finally figured out that the reason they couldn't cure the infection was because they wouldn't get the antibiotics down to her big toe because of incredibly poor circulation. At this time, she was also diagnosed with emphysema and put on an oxygen tank.

About a week ago, she went into the hospital and I think most people knew that she wouldn't be coming out. Last night she grew tired of being hooked to all the machines and requested the machines be removed.

Cousin Jean was a staple at all our holiday gatherings (there are only about 4 or 5 of us) and never ceased to keep us in stitches the entire time. She was absolutely hilarious and she and my mom were really close (they are only a few months different in age.) Jean's favorite activity at our house was to tell embarrassing stories about Mom, which was awesome for us and drove my mom absolutely insane. But the holidays weren't complete without Jean and her constant teasing.

So today, though I am sad and wishing I was back in Cali with my family, I give thanks for my cousin Jean and her ability to always light up a room. Though she isn't with us anymore, her memories will always continue to bring a smile back to our faces.

Cousin Jean, you will be missed, but never forgotten.

Cheers,

Sweet Bea

0 comments: